Saturday, May 23, 2015

1-Click Available For Reading For The Long Weekend!

Ryan nodded his head. “Exactly. Megan is sweet and old fashioned. She didn’t love the guy and didn’t want to lead him on; I did not influence her to break up with him. Damn, it sucks I’m hurting her like this; she doesn’t deserve it.” He tossed the empty beer bottle in the trash after draining the last of its contents. “She’d probably be better off with the lawyer. His job is safe. He would be home at night to share in conversation about their day.” He swallowed hard. “And make love to her at night. He’d be around to do the shit I can’t do when I’m at the firehouse.”

“Don’t do it, Ryan. You’re second-guessing yourself. It’s OK to want to make Megan happy but not at your expense. She has to come around and accept that you have a right to have the life you want, too. We aren’t just your average Joes looking to have our ego’s stroked; we’re specially trained men and women who provide a valuable service to this city.”

“I owe her, Jon. Every day for months, she stood by my side. This fresh-faced young woman kept her head held high as she listened to the allegations that could have thrown me in jail for a long time. She never questioned me or once thought I was guilty. If she did, she never let it slip out of her mouth.”

“That’s because she loves you. The faith and trust were there for her, she didn’t need to question you.”

“I love her. I have to get Megan back, and nothing is going to stand in my way. If I have to give up being a firefighter, then I will.”

“Speaking as your lieutenant, I’m supposed to talk you out of doing something you’ll regret, but I’m talking to you as a family member. Don’t make a rash decision based on what you’re going through right now. First, agree to see the damn marriage counselor as she suggested. It can’t hurt to get a professional’s opinion on your marriage. They might be able to steer Megan in your direction.”

“What if they can’t, Jon? I’ll lose her for sure.”

“Man, you only have a few months left before you become a journeyman. Ryan, if you drop out now there is no coming back. The Cleveland Fire Department doesn’t hire that often. If you give up your lucrative spot, you’re a fool. I’m sorry if I sound blunt, but I’m telling you the truth.”

Ryan took his shoes that were sitting on the side of the chair and put them on. “I need some air.”

“Good idea. Go for a walk and think about everything. My shift starts tonight, so I won’t be here when you get back, but if you need to talk, call me.”

Ryan ran his hand over his scruffy face. He should clean up his appearance before going out in public. He wasn’t a bad-looking man. His facial hair consisted of a goatee and mustache and not the scruffy beard men were sporting these days. His thin nose, thick eyebrows, and dark brown eyes that appeared devilish when he looked a certain way made up the rest of his profile. He was also physically fit and had the body to prove he could do the strenuous work required of a firefighter. When he sat outside the firehouse, he would get approached by women walking up and down the street. He got more play from women as a firefighter than he ever did as a teacher. Even the cadet symbol on his helmet didn’t turn women off. However, none of that mattered to him. He was honest about being happily married. At least at the time, he was happily married.

“OK, I will. I think I’ll take a shower and shave first.”


This the fourth installment of the series.  Check out the first three installments.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Text 'Yes' If You Love Me Has Been Nominated for Cover of The Month for May. I Need Your Votes Please

If you liked the cover of my book, Text 'Yes' If You Love Me, please vote for it for the Cover of the Month contest on AllAuthor.com...